Monday, January 21, 2008

The tastes of home never tasted so good

On Saturday evening I prepared meatloaf and sweet potatoes. I can, without a doubt, say that I have never tasted anything more like home before. As I slowly and purposefully ate my meal (wouldn't want it to be gone too quickly), I was overwhelmed with the feeling of pure bliss. It was a comfort food experience, the likes of which I have never experienced.

To be honest, I do not know why I have never prepared this meal in Germany before. Meatloaf calls for mixed ground meat (1/2 pork, 1/2 beef) and that is most of what is available at the store here in the ground meat section of the store. Meatloaf calls for onion soup. Well, Knorr, the company that often makes onion soup in America is German and probably invented packaged onion soup. And really, what it comes down to, is that meatloaf is actually just "Fleischküchle" or "Frikadellen" (German version of meatloaf, pretty much the same ingredients, but made in meatball size and cooked in a pan on the stove) prepared in one big mass and done in the oven.

Any-hoo, hoorah for that delicious meal and the great feeling of home that it brought on!

4 comments:

joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joe said...

thanks...now I'm really jealous...Fleischküchle...mmmhhhhmmm...those things alone already are reason to fly back to Germany... :D

Anonymous said...

Es gibt natürlich Deutsche die Frikadelle oder sogar Fleischküchle sagen würden but you know what, we actually call it Bulette in the serious parts of Germany!

Anonymous said...

Es gibt hier auch meatloaf, es nennt sich Hackbraten... :-)
Wir können das ja gerne mal zusammen kochen, wenn ich wieder da bin. Was denkst du?