Sunday, January 20, 2008

The place where the books live

Today Christian asked me, "Why is it pronounced 'lye-berry' when it's spelled 'library'?"


January 22, 2008 - Post Script:

After reading the comment I got on this post, correcting that pronunciation of "library" I realized that, for those of you who don't know me, this post needs clarification. I thought it would be funnier without clarification, but whatever, you don't get it, I'm not funny, whatever.

Christian is my boyfriend. He's German and his English is excellent, which is what made it so hilarious when he asked me, with all sincerity, about the pronunciation and made this error, which children commonly make.

That's why I posted it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not pronounced "lye-berry". It's pronounced "lye-brairy".

Claire in Tuba-Town said...

Yes anonymous poster, that's what's funny about it, that's why I posted it.

al said...

Uh, as a librarian, I'd like to weigh in on this one.

All the cool kids say, "lye-berry."

premium show said...

your funNy post , great lucky for you friends germany!