Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pine Cone-ette: The importance of the state brewery


This is an ordinary bottle of Germany beer. I'd say it's one of the most popular beers to drink around here. It's reasonably priced, has a pleasant, mild flavor, and the label kind of makes me laugh with it's strange, geometrical lady and pine cones. And another thing that is cool is that it's called Pine Cone (Tannen Zäpfle, well it's a regional diminuitve, but that's another story all together). I guess that in reality it's called Pine Cone-ette, which is nothing short of great.

And wait, this beer gets even better! Take a close look at the picture below (I hope that your screen is bigger than mine so that you can see the details. Due to some computer selling and buying, I'm not using my computer right now and don't have photo software.) At the bottom of the bottle you will see the word "Staatsbrauerei" which means "State Brewery". Yes, my friends, this beer is produced at the Baden State Brewery. Baden is the region next to ours', Swabia, and together we make up the state of Baden-Wurttemberg.

What does this say about the importance of beer in Baden?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a smart ass, but isn't "Tanne" called fir in English? The tree you have at Christmas? (or do you have pine trees at Christmas in America?) I'm confused... :-)